ABOUT THE PROJECT
DIGITIZATION OF GEO - HISTORICAL TOPONOMY OF HERITAGE PLACES IN MALAYSIA
THE RESEARCH TEAM
Prof Datin Dr Norizan Abdul Razak - Project Leader, email@example.com
Prof Dr Ruzy Suliza Hashim
Assoc Prof Dr Marlyna Maros
Assoc Prof Dr Pramela Krish
Dr Khazriyati Salehuddin
Dr Mohamed Zain Sulaiman
• Introducing less publicised heritage places in Malaysia
• Creating heritage awareness among Malaysian younger generation and tourist
• Documenting oral history and knowledge about Malaysia heritage related to name of places
• Digitizing the information for reference online
• Increasing local digital content in for information search and documentation related heritage and history of name of places
• Selecting the places (approximately 8 places/region)
• Identifying informant
• Interviewing informant
• Recording (video & audio) informants’ narrations
• Transcribing phonetically the names of the places and related information (as a guide to a more accurate pronunciation of the places)
• Translating informants’ narrations (where necessary, particularly if informants are speakers of languages other than Malay or English)
• Capturing pictures of sites, artefacts etc. relevant to the information
• Digitizing of the information – and web development
SIGNIFICANCE SOCIAL ASPECTS
1. The body of knowledge on the historical and cultural heritage of the less promoted places.
2. To record the oral history of the local people besides the origins of these places
3. To deepen understanding of the cultural and language diversities of Malaysia
4. To digitize the knowledge outreach younger generation and disseminate the information to a larger group of people.
5. To promote unity and belongingness to the tradition and heritage of multi-ethnic Malaysia and the love for 1 Malaysia.
SIGNIFICANTS ECONOMIC ASPECTS
1. Valuable content for both documentary and promotional purposes.
2. Valuable insights into the characters and essence of the place named
3. Enable the industry to exploit two underlying sociological perspectives of tourism : authenticity and stranger hood.
4. Highlighting the authenticity and novelty of less-publicized heritage turning such places to tourism icons, hence expending the industry’s tourism assets.
5. More economic opportunities for local communities and decrease dependency on popular traditional sites and attractions.